Founded in 1970 by Gaylord Nelson, a former Wisconsin governor and senator, Earth Day has become of our most well known holidays (and rising!).
Well, since we live on the Earth and how we treat it has a direct impact on our lives, we’re starting to pay more attention. Smart on us! And while one survey found that individuals care less about sustainability since 2012 (I vehemently oppose this belief; I didn’t compost, garden or recycle every little thing in 2009! Did you?), the need to raise Earth awareness is paramount to all of our lives.
Fortunately, our friendly retailers understand this and are finding clever ways on this year’s Earth Day, April 22, to remind each of us to be kind to the Earth. Below is a listing of some of the good retail stuff happening out in the world in honor of Earth Day.
- Target is giving away one reusable shopping bag per customer on April 22, available at the guest services desk of each store.
- Starbucks is giving away a free hot or iced coffee on April 22, when customers bring in a reusable cup (I am so there for this one!).
- Origins is giving away one full-size sample of cleanser in exchange for a bottle of a current skincare product. All bottles and packaging will be recycled.
- Jo-Ann Fabric will give out free tote bags on April 22 to the first 50 customers.
- Barnes & Noble is offering a 20 percent discount on Earth-friendly toys and games from its online store.
- Lowe’s is offering one free tree on Monday, April 23. Customers must go online to register for it beforehand.
- Chipotle Mexican Grill is giving away a free burrito on Earth Day to customers who purchased a lunch bag before April 14. The bags are made from recycled Chipotle billboards (Even if you didn't purchase a burrito before the 4/14 deadline, I say try to get one now for the free burrito anyway!).
- Pottery Barn Kids is offering free packets of sunflower seeds April 21-22. Customers can pick up Helianthus annuus seedlings to plant in their gardens as well.
- The National Park Service is offering free admission to all 397 national parks April 21-29.
- Goodwill Southern California (GSC), along with Universal Studios Hollywood (SM) and NBC4, is hosting a donation drive April 21-22, to set a new World Record for most usable goods donations received in a 24-hour period.
- Army & Air Force retail stores will offer 100 percent recycled, USA-made apparel by SustainU in 35 of its base stores on Earth Day.
All in all, it’s going to be a very good day, not only for Mother Earth, but for all of us as well.
Do you know of other special retail offers in honor of Earth Day? If so, leave them below.
Clip art courtesy of: Matriot (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons.